In my previous post I wrote about spaces (PCS – Spaces). In this post I will go into the next step: ‘Applications’. I will describe how to create, download, import, export, deploy, delete, etc. an application.
Create a new Application
Click the Create button at the top-left corner of the home page and select New Application from the choices. The following window appears:
In here you have to specify a name for the application and in which space to create it. Optionally you can also enter a description. After that click the Create button. The new Empty application is created in the specified space.
Delete an Application
On the top level in the Business Process Composer the Applications in the currently selected space are shown. From here it is possible to delete an Application. For this click the Options button in the bottom right corner of the Application. A menu pop’s up from where you can select ‘Delete application’. Note: this options it only available if you are the owner of the space.
After selecting this option you need to confirm it.
Download an Application
From the same menu you have the option to download the Application. A popup appears asking where to save the export file.
Import an Application
Click the Create button at the top-left corner of the home page and select Import Application from the choices. The following window appears:
Select the space where to import the application into and select an export file to import. It is not possible to have two applications with the same name. In that case you get the following message:
Explore the Application
Now we step into the application. On the home page click the Application name to open the application. The application’s home page appears. The application is empty. Which mean that it does not contain any processes, forms, business rules or other application related objects.
- The Application Toolbar across the top of the page contains the main menu button, a breadcrumb showing the current space and application, the current mode (Viewing) and an icon to toggle the mode. The toolbar also contains buttons to create a snapshot, validate the application, and show, how many developers are working currently on the application. In the next paragraph these options are explained in more detail.
- The Application Information Panel shows information about the currently selected application, such as the name, locking status, sharing, and language. Note that on the screen shot you see the expanded information panel, in can be collapsed clicking the Hide Details (X) button.
- The left side of the page is occupied by the Application Component Panel where various component types are listed, and can be selected. The available component types are: Processes, Web Forms, Business Types, Decisions, Web Services, and All.
- The right side of the page shows the Recent Activity Panel, that provides a history of the changes made to the current application. This panel can be hidden.
- At the bottom of this panel there is the Organization link, where you can manage application roles and business parameters.
- The center of the page is occupied by the list of components of the currently selected component type (Processes). Since this is a new, still “empty” application, instead of the existing processes you see an overview, how to create a new process.
In editing mode some additional buttons appear in the top menu bar.
- Main Menu
Except for the Export function the Application related functions in this menu are also available in the toolbar. The Export function is used to export an Application. It show the same popup when downloading an Application.
- Current Space
The space the current application is in.
- Current Application
The current application
- Save and continue editing
Save the recently made changes and continue changing the application.
- Publish the saved application so developers that share the space can access your changes
Share your changes with the other Space members.
- Stop editing, discarding your private changes
Release lock without saving your changes
From here you can add and delete snapshots.
- Test Application
From here you can test the application. There is a lot to tell about this testing feature. In my following post I will come into the details of this.
- Validate Application
To check if all Application code is valid
- Currently watching users
A list of all users sharing the application and their connectivity status
- Close application
Log in to the PCS Composer as a user who is a member of the ProcessServiceAdministrator group. e.g. Weblogic. In the top-menubar you now see some additional options, namely Administration and Management.
Click the Administration button, followed by the Applications button. Now you get an overview of all applications. From here it is possible to delete applications.
Click the Administration button. Now you get an overview of all deployed applications.
From here you can retire, undeploy, shutdown or startup applications. You can also see the references to the exposed services.
This brings me to the end of my second (and still very basic) blog of the Process Cloud.
In my next post I will go into the Application Testing features.